Spinnaker and Netflix
Spinnaker is figuring out the right way to get the software out there for the companies. Its an open source, multi-cloud continuous delivery platform for releasing software changes with high velocity and confidence.
- Spinnaker is a part of Delivery Pipeline, it takes care of Deployment Phase
- It can be used in conjunction with Continuous Integration Technologies- Ex. Circle CI, Jenkins , Bitbucket , Teamcity and so on
- It deploys and supports all Major Cloud providers — AWS, GCP , Azure, Kubernetes etc.
Netflix using Spinnaker
Netflix is a Global Company whose service is used by more than 130 million people everyday. Netflix values speed — speed of innovation is their competitive advantage. So operating at this scale requires sophisticated tools that ultimately makes it easy for development teams to move fast with high degree of confidence. So Netflix built a Continuous Delivery and Infrastructure Management Platform — Spinnaker. Introducing Spinnaker has,
- Accelerated the time to market
- Empowers team to make Rapid changes
- Focuses on building the right product
- Improved developer productivity and efficiency
Spinnaker is an extensible platform which provides a means to plug into a greater infrastructure of integrated tools like Chaos Monkey, Squeeze testing and Automated Canary Analysis. Developers who use Spinnaker get all these tools for free without having to write a difficult code as it was done before.
Teams at Netflix own their own destiny , building their own pipeline in Spinnaker and managing their own apps in production . They are free to build on top of Spinnaker , so as to efficiently reap the benefits of Continuous Delivery.
Spinnaker has also been extended to facilitate delivery of firmware updates to a fleet of global servers- which are distributed across the world in data centers closes to where you live. So when we hit play — the video is streamed directly from the box and not from the cloud . Spinnaker lets you create a complex delivery pipeline for changing runtime data in production . It allows delivery and management of Libraries across Netflix.
Spinnaker is an open source with a strong and vibrant community including Netflix , Google, Waze, Target, Microsoft and many more.
Pros of Spinnaker
- Out of the box deployment strategies
- Fast Deployment
- Automated Triggers
- Manual Judgement
- One Click Rollback
- Wide range of Deployment strategies like — Blue Green, Highlanders etc.
Cons of Spinnaker
- Does not support CFN based deployment
- Pipeline level access authorization not available
- User authentication is easy but authorization management is not straight forward — is a bit confusing sometime
- Integration with external authentication mechanism is not that simple
- Window based systems finds it difficult to onboard spinnaker
Spinnaker deployment pipeline
Learn more about Spinnaker and kick start your Career with CubenSquare