How to get prepared for DevOps role | Interview
Devops Role Interview
Lets discuss the practical approach
FAQ by IT professionals : How to get prepared for DevOps role & interview when we are totally new to term|technology and we just learned the course..
Lets jump in . I am categorizing this into 3 major categories
- Learn DevOps – both technical & process
- Understand your current Project, tools & technologies used
- Profile & Tell about yourself
First and foremost – Learn and get hands-on experience in DevOps tools through various demos,use cases . Go through the DevOps process aspects as well .
When I say devops tools , we have several tools out there . Choose the one which is widely adapted by organizations .
For instance , we at cubensquare chose tools like
- Git | Github
- Prometheus & Grafana.
We will adapt to new tools when there is a need and change
You can either choose these or any other alternatives too.Get the handson without fail , which will help you to explain the concepts along with proof of concept clearly and with proper flow
Approximate time to learn and practice : I would say 3 Months is sufficient enough for you to get prepared for an interview
You might be a System admin , Windows admin , Linux admin , VMware admin , db admin , storage admin , service desk executive etc playing different role . End of the day , most of you would be supporting an e-business | online application – can be financial org, health care, transportation, media etc
Probably most of us wont take time to understand the business for the account we support .
That is ,
- How my application works
- What are the teams involved
- What is their roles & responsibility
- What is their day to day activity
We all must understand that . If you are not aware of all these , plz start knowing . Its important for you to understand the application functionality/business logic which will help you to fit devops tools on the right place and explain better from an interview standpoint/presentation
I will jot down the topics for you to start with
Understanding your current account
- What is the Business involved . example – Banking , media, healthcare, ticket booking , etc
- Architecture [Application flow & roles of each tool]
- Environment details ( Example – Dev, Testing, Production)
- Different support teams (Example-Linux operations, Windows Operations, Middleware operations, storage operations, service desk, database operations team)
- Process being followed
- Technologies & tools used
- Number of servers, Operating system and its versions
- Inventory of On-prem vs Cloud servers
- Data Storage
- Day to Day activities [ incident , changes , service request , sprints]
- Stake holders
Now the question , were do I get all these information – Talk to other team members,refer your project documentation , refer your inventory/knowledge base for details
After this , its time to choose usecases/proof of concept and start getting handson. This will help you to explain better from interview standpoint and also understanding perspective.
Troubleshooting scenario – during practice , you will end up in several issues and errors . Document all those along with the solution.Share this during your interview process
Important – CICD example . Learn complete CICD process which includes all tools and practice
From profile standpoint –
Mention the DevOps tools , usecases in technical expertise section and current organization roles & responsibilities in separate section
During interview process , the first things would be ‘Tell about yourself ‘.Be confident and stick to the pointers you have practiced
Align the pointers and put in a proper sequence .
- Years of experience in IT | DevOps
- Tools experience
- Account architecture
- Day to day activities
These are major categories you need to focus when you are preparing for a DevOps role / interview .
Hope this helps