DO188 : Red Hat OpenShift Development I : Introduction to Containers with Podman
Learn essential Red Hat Enterprise Linux configuration, administration, and maintenance in a condensed format
The RHCSA Rapid Track course (RH199) combines Red Hat System Administration I (RH124) and Red Hat System Administration II (RH134), reviewing the tasks at an accelerated pace. This course relates to Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® and is designed for experienced Linux system administrators.
This course is based on Red Hat® Enterprise Linux 8.2
A developer introduction to building and managing containers with Podman for deploying applications on Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform
Red Hat OpenShift Development I: Introduction to Containers with Podman (DO188) introduces students to building, running, and managing containers with Podman and Red Hat OpenShift. This course helps students build the core skills for developing containerized applications through hands-on experience. These skills can be applied using all versions of OpenShift, including Red Hat OpenShift on AWS (ROSA), Azure Red Hat OpenShift (ARO), and OpenShift Container Platform.
This course is based on Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 8, Podman 4.2 and Red Hat OpenShift® 4.12.
Course content summary
- Introduction to containers
- Run containers with Podman CLI and Podman Desktop
- Build custom container images
- Manage container images
- Remote debugging with containers
- Basic container networking
- Persist data with containers
- Run multi-container applications
- Troubleshoot Container Deployments
- Orchestrate containers with OpenShift and Kubernetes
Audience for this course
- Developers and Site Reliability Engineers that are new to container technology.
Prerequisites for this course
- Take our free assessment to gauge whether this offering is the best fit for your skills.
- Some experience with web application architectures and their corresponding technologies.
- Experience in the use of a Linux terminal session, issuing operating system commands, and familiarity with shell scripting is recommended
Outline for this course
Introduction and overview of containers
Describe how containers facilitate application development.
Manage and run containers with Podman
Navigate container registries to find and manage container images
Custom container images
Build custom container images to containerize applications
Run database containers with persistence
Analyze container logs and configure a remote debugger
Multi-container applications with compose
Run multi-container applications using Compose
Container orchestration with Kubernetes and OpenShift
Orchestrate containerized applications with Kubernetes and OpenShift.
Impact on the organization
A container-based architecture improves application reliability, scalability, and facilitates continuous integration and continuous deployment. This course provides the foundation needed for OpenShift development and is the entrypoint to digital transformation through application containerization
Red Hat has created this course in a way intended to benefit our customers, but each company and infrastructure is unique, and actual results or benefits may vary.
Impact on the individual
As a result of attending this course, you will understand the foundations of container-based application development. You will be able to run, manage, and troubleshoot containerized applications. This course is the starting point for the OpenShift developer curriculum and provides the foundation you will need to advance to cloud-native developer courses.
- Create containerized services using Podman.
- Manage containers and container images.
- Create custom container images.
- Deploy containerized applications on Red Hat OpenShift.
- Deploy multi-container applications.